wtorek, 3 kwietnia 2012

Administrative division of Poland

Hello or “ cześć ” in Polish. :)
I just was on the verge of adding entry about Gdynia’s Boulevard when I realised that it will be better to start from the basic information about Poland. Therefore today I am giving you some information about Administrative division of Poland which exists since 1st January 1999. Firstly, worth to say is that Poland’s area is 312,685 km2 (70th in the world) and population which is 34th in the world come to 38 501 000.

The territory of Poland is divided into voivodeships also province ( in Polish “województwo”) which have the biggest city as a capital. There are 16 voivodeships in Poland – you can see their names and capital cities in table which I made. All voivodeships, powiats and gminas have their own local government which cooperate with the Government and take care about e.g. local development.


Every voivodeship consists of some powiats and every powiat consists of some gminas (common). Currently Poland has 379 powiats (including 65 cities with powiat status), and 2,478 gminas. In the picture below you can see from which powiats consists Pomeranian province and also you can see where located is Gdynia. :)


Sometimes one city is also powiat and gmina like a Gdynia or Słupsk, but often gmina consists of a lot of small villages like e.g. in area of my hometown. Due to this fact my hometown Mołtajny is a village located in Warmian- Masurian voivodeship, in Kętrzyn’s powiat, and in Barciany’s gmina. So complicated, doesn’t it? :)

Sad to say, but I haven’t been visited all voivodeships yet. I still haven’t been in West Pomeranian, Lubusz , Silesian, Swietokrzyskie, Subcarpathian and Opole voivodeship. So as you can see I have a lot to do in my life. :)

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz